But do you know anything about ear infections? They are common till the age of three, so it does make sense to have some knowledge.
Daddy’s Digest has put together a summary of the basic facts that every father needs to know.
So, here we go.
1. An ear infection can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection and usually comes after a common cold or sinus infection.
2. If your baby is fussy or crying more than usual, it could be a sign. Fevers are also an indication that their ear may be infected.
3. Additional symptoms include: Diarrhea, trouble sleeping, fluid discharge from the ear, foul odor from child’s ear, difficulty eating or drinking milk (bottle or breast), vomiting OR grabbing/tugging at their ears.
4. If you suspect an ear infection, it is important that your child is seen by a doctor at the earliest. Leaving an ear infection untreated could affect the eardrum or cause hearing loss.
5. Only a qualified medical care professional can decide the necessary course of action and if medications are required.
6. Pacifier use may increase the risk of ear infections.
- Breastfeeding your baby will reduce the risk of an infection (breastmilk contains antibodies).
- If your baby is bottle fed, keep them sitting upright (milk flows easily into the middle ear if the baby drinks while lying down).
- Keeping your child away from tobacco smoke.
- Prevent colds and keep their allergies in check.
- Making sure your child’s vaccinations are up to date.
Our guide outlines the facts based on research from several online and offline resources. If you are in doubt or worried about your baby’s health, consult with a qualified medical professional or doctor immediately.