It's Sunday at 11:30 and I am back on the couch in the family den space. My 6 month old is taking his morning nap, my daugher is watching videos of dolls in  baby strollers on youtube and my dog is chasing a flirt pole I am dancing around and my husband is putting away the groceries. Sounds like a pretty normal house – and oh my goodness, my children are not screaming or crying and I'm actually able to type right now, so why do I have anything to say?  I don't – not really – but I think a slice of life is important to share, and I hope as the CEO of this publication to keep sharing insights from all sorts of families, including my own.

Let me tell you about my day so far:

6:00 a.m.: My daughter starts screaming bloody murder because she is awake and not tired anymore. Also, she has to pee and her baby dolls are hungry. I wander into her room, tell her I'll be lying on the floor, but she can play quietly. The bloody murder screaming continues, and I move into "awake" mode. It's a magical way to start the day. Of course, I am not surprised this is happening, after all, it is Day Light Savings.

6:45 a.m.: After tucking 3 baby dolls into baby doll beds and feeding them pretend formula for the last 45 minutes, we wander downstairs, where my daughter takes dirty clothes out of the laundry and decides to get naked and put them on. In the middle of which, she starts doing the "potty dance" and says her tummy hurts. I carry her over to the potty, and she holds my hands so hard, that her nails are digging into my skin. 3 drops of pee exit her body and I feel lightheaded. We go through Sudocrem like it's water in this house. I don't know what we do after that as it is now 4 hours later at time of writing and I can't remember.

7:30 a.m.: It is time to go get dad, little lady decides. Dad is already waking up and instead of kissing him awake with a surprise wake up kiss, she finds him brushing his teeth. Now she decides it's time to brush her teeth with her Frozen toothbrush. It is an excellent decision and an excellent way to get her into her dance outfit for dance class. "When is dancing, Mummy?" she asks, and I well know it 3 hours later, but say, "It's very soon, kiddo".

8:00 a.m.: We do pretty well now; coffee has entered our bodies without anyone melting down from the loud noise of the coffee machine, the baby is fed and rolling around with his cute little smile and the toddler is eating oatmeal and an apple. Parenting win. I haven't eaten anything and I decide it's time to do so, as this may explain my lightheadedness. I prepare some toast with leftover avocado from last night, but another bathroom emergency leads me to ditch it and run for more "potty time" instead. My hands are ready.

9:00 a.m.: I have no idea what has happened for the last hour. I haven't eaten and I think we haven't left the bathroom for an hour. My daughter decides (brilliantly) that she needs to eat broccoli to help her tummy and tell me we need to buy some immediately. We begin watching the doll videos on Youtube, and I have to admit, although they are weird, I get why she likes them. She's going to go reenact the scenes from these videos with her own dollies soon and it is very sweet. 

10:03 a.m.: Dance is at 10:15 and it takes 13 minutes to get there. We have to leave no, but we are shoeless and coatless, and my phone is ringing. We get in the car, baby is having a nap again and dad is cleaning up. (best dad and partner ever!) The little girl sits in silence the entire drive. It is glorious.

10:18 a.m.- 11:13 a.m.: Mask on, drop off at dance,and while she hops like I bunny, I scramble over to the grocery store next door. I find a bag of bagels almost expired and said broccoli as well as the milk, eggs and hotdogs we need for the week. I run back over to the dance studio, eat half the stale bagel, give the dance teacher a card we made for her (very sweet again) and then talk to the other parents (masks off!) in the parking lot. Buckle up kiddo, we're heading home. 

11:30 a.m.: We are home, the baby doll videos have commenced and the real baby boy is waking up just in time for me to finish this article and get lunch on the table.

How was your daylight saving morning? 

Keep up with everything DAD
Join our email list to get the latest blog posts straight to your inbox
Invalid email address
Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime.

Leave a Reply