Family rituals create a sense of belonging and help children develop a feeling of security. Simple things like family cuddles before bedtime can make your child feel good and can hold special significance.
Rituals are unique to your family and don’t have to be complicated to be effective. A daily family breakfast could be a simple example that tells your child what is important to you and what values you hold dear.
We have put together a few pointers to help you understand and create happy, healthy and fun family rituals.
1. Family rituals help reinforce and strengthen family values. They make a child’s world more predictable and gives them a sense of safety and comfort.
2. Having something that is unique helps children develop an identity and feeling of belonging.
3. Rituals can be passed down by family members or could even be religious celebrations and/or cultural festivals.
4. Keep rituals regular and be consistent. Take a look at your daily routines and add simple twists to make things more exciting and unique.
5. Every relationship is different and your connection with each child (if you have more than one) will vary. You don’t need to have the same rituals with all your children and it can depend on the individual routines and relationship you share with them.
Our guide outlines the facts based on research from several online and offline resources. If you are in doubt or worried about your child’s development for any reason, consult with a qualified and certified mental health professional or medical doctor.