If you’ve read our article on the Alternatives To When You Can’t Naturally Conceive, you’ll know that there are different ways to build a family if you and your wife/partner are struggling.
Fertility sciences offer ample and potentially fruitful options and Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) or Artificial Insemination is one such choice.
1. Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is a ‘first step’ fertility treatment technique where washed and concentrated sperm is placed directly in the woman’s uterus.
2. Sperm washing is a technique where the sperm is separated from the semen by removing mucus, non-motile sperm and disease-carrying material.
3. The insemination of the sperm can be coordinated with your wife’s normal ovulation cycle (single egg is released). It may become necessary to stimulate the release of multiple eggs with fertility medication.
5. IUI may also be recommended if your wife/partner presents with minor fertility issues or a semen allergy (semen washing takes away the allergy-causing proteins).
6. If successful, there is a risk of multiple pregnancy (twins, triplets, more) when artificial insemination is combined with fertility medications.
7. The optimal time for the sperm transfer is usually a day or two after your partner’s ovulation has been detected. The procedure is simple and takes 15 to 20 minutes at a clinic or doctor’s office.
8. Your wife will lay back-first on a medical examination table. Then a catheter (long, thin, flexible tube) with an attached vial containing the sperm will be inserted into her vagina. After the sperm sample is pushed through the tube into her uterus, the catheter is removed.
9. There is no guaranteed outcome. Your partner will be asked to take a home pregnancy test (which could indicate a false positive) followed by a blood test at the clinic to determine success.
It is important to verify information and ask your preferred doctor for their opinion. Our guide is meant to outline the facts, but every situation is unique and requires the final word of a qualified medical care professional.